Birding in the Most Beautiful Place in Mexico
San Miguel de Allende is renowned around the world for its history, culture, architecture, culinary joys, and much more. However, it is not well-known that San Miguel and its environs is home to over 200 species of birds from the vibrant Vermilion Flycatcher to the national bird Crested Caracara.
San Miguel de Allende sits at over 6200 feet (2000 m) above sea level and is bound on one side by a large man-made lake and on the other a mountain range caused by a massive volcano eruption 12,000 years ago. This is bird watching paradise.
We stay at a the comfortable and funky cabanas at Mesa Verde Lodging San Miguel de Allende, just 15 minutes from the Centro. Mesa Verde looks out over the lake at Rio Laja where you could sight several species from your bed!
Our first day we hike around the lake and the woods of the area where pelicans, cranes, egrets and many other waterfowl reside. Additionally the trees are full of passerines that are a cross-section of temperate and desert birds.
Our next day takes us to the top of the volcano that blew up millenia ago. This rocky, scrubby terrain is perfect for birds of prey and other high plains denizens. And the views of the dramatic Bajio country are something you will boast about at home.
Our final day takes us to a lush nature reserve where over 500 species of birds, butterflies, and other animals reside. It features three diverse biospheres – canyon, pond and desert. Additionally, it has exhaustively catalogued the myriad types of cactii and succulents as well.
Each expedition includes airport pickup, lodging at Mesa Verde Lodging San Miguel de Allende, packed breakfast and lunch each day, transportation, and a local bird expert guide.
What to bring:
- A hat! It’s very sunny here
- Good walking shoes or boots
- Small shoulder sack or backpack to carry water, snacks and other items
- Camera and equipment. We provide security for your personal items at the cabins
- *Please advise us if you have mobility issues so we can accommodate you. – most of the these walks are not difficult, and we want you to be safe and comfortable.
We will provide:
- We provide sunscreen and bug repellent as these are a challenge to fly with
- We also provide a Bird List of the area
Your trip includes:
- Three nights in private cabins housing up to four – Monday, Tuesday, Wednesday
- Cabins feature full baths, kitchenettes, air conditioning and laundry
- Three distinct expeditions – Lakeshore and Woods; Volcano site, Nature Preserve
- Packed breakfast and lunch daily
- Airport pickup and return
- Outings are four to five hours – with the the latter part of the day free to explore downtown, biking, boating, barbecuing, etc. – we provide transportation to and from Centro
$1200/USD per person all inclusive
Optional private driving wine tours of the region and walking tours of the city are available